The paintings in the Baglioni Chapel in the Collegiata di Santa Maria Maggiore in Spello (Umbria) was commissioned by the papal protonotary Troilo Baglioni, who served as prior of the church before he was appointed bishop of Perugia in 1501. Also known as the Cappella Bella because of its colourful paintings, the space served until 1874 as a sacrament chapel.
Nothing is known about the circumstances of the chapel’s painting or Pinturicchio’s contract with the donor. Presumably the painter completed his work in the chapel in October 1501. The decoration consists of three large scenes on the three walls of the chapel, as well as four enthroned sibyls on the vaulting. The three scenes are the Annunciation on the left wall, Jesus among the Doctors on the right wall, and the Adoration of the Shepherds on the back wall.